|• 1807: Slave trade abolished||• 1815: End of Napoleonic Wars||• 1825: 1st railway opens (Stockton - Darlington)||• 1829: Metropolitan Police founded||• 1832: Morse invents Electric Telegraph||• 1837: Queen Victoria crowned||• 1838: National Gallery founded||• 1840: Queen Victora & Prince Albert marry||• 1841: Glynde School built||• 1842: Irish "Potato Famine" starts||• 1847: British Museum founded||• 1848: Marx & Engels write Communist Manifesto||• 1851: Great Exhibition opens in Hyde Park||• 1854: Start of Crimean War||• 1859: Darwin's Origin of Species published||• 1861: American Civil War begins||• 1865: Salvation Army founded|
There are records of several windmills serving Glynde and Beddingham from at least as early as 1575 and a mill had probably stood at Wick Street, above Ringmer, in 1285.The mill built about 1806 stood just to the south of where the Trevor Arms now stands. Edward Elphick first appeared in the annual accounts of the Glynde estates in 1806 when he paid £2 2s ‘as ground rent for windmill’. Elphick paid the same amount the following year and then in 1808 he paid 4 guineas ‘as ground rent for mill and house’. It was in this year that Elphick signed a 60 year lease for the land for the mill and the house (now Mill House) with Thomas, Lord Viscount Hampden, and his brother John Trevor. The rent was £4 4s a year and the lease stated that Edward Elphick had lately erected a messuageHouse or dwelling,
glynde.info/history by Andrew Lusted & Chris Whitmore is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://glynde.info/history/contact.php