|• 1847: British Museum founded||• 1848: Marx & Engels write Communist Manifesto||• 1851: Great Exhibition opens in Hyde Park||• 1854: Start of Crimean War||• 1859: Darwin's Origin of Species published||• 1861: American Civil War begins||• 1865: Salvation Army founded||• 1869: Suez Canal opened||• 1871: Trades Unions legalised||• 1872: Secret ballots introduced for elections||• 1873: Dr Livingstone dies||• 1876: Bell invents telephone||• 1878: Electric light bulb invented||• 1881: Pasteur invents innoculation||• 1884: Fabian Society founded||• 1884: Speaker Brand retires||• 1885: Glynde & Beddingham Cricket Club founded||• 1887: Queen Victoria's Jubilee||• 1894: Manchester Ship Canal opened||• 1899: Boer War starts||• 1901: Queen Victoria dies||• 1903: 1st aeroplane flight by Wright Bros.||• 1905: Ragged Lands established||• 1909: Introduction of Old Age Pension||• 1912: Sinking of the Titanic||• 1914: Start of 1st World War||• 1916: Battle of the Somme||• 1918: End of 1st World War||• 1919: 1st trans-atlantic flight||• 1920: League of Nations founded||• 1922: Irish Free State founded||• 1924: Lenin dies||• 1926: General Strike||• 1928: Women get the vote||• 1934: Hitler assumes power in Germany||• 1936: Regular BBC TV broadcasts begin||• 1939: Start of 2nd World War||• 1940: Dunkirk evacuation||• 1941: Japanese attack Pearl Harbour||• 1944: "D-Day" landings in France||• 1945: End of 2nd World War||• 1946: USA tests atom bomb at Bikini Island||• 1947: Sound Barrier broken||• 1948: NHS founded||• 1950: Korean War starts||• 1951: Suez "Crisis"||• 1953: Queen Elizabeth II crowned||• 1954: Bannister runs 1st 4 minute mile||• 1955: Glynde Place opened to the public||• 1955: ITV starts broadcasting||• 1957: 1st dog in space||• 1958: Gatwick Airport opened||• 1959: M1, the 1st motoway, opened||• 1961: 1st man in space||• 1963: US President Kennedy assassinated||• 1965: Post Office Tower opened||• 1966: England win World Cup||• 1967: 1st heart transplant||• 1968: Martin Luther King assassinated||• 1969: 1st men on the moon||• 1970: North Sea Oil discovered||• 1971: Decimal coins introduced||• 1972: "Bloody Sunday", 13 killed in Derry||• 1974: US President Nixon resigned||• 1976: Harold Wilson resigned as PM||• 1978: 1st "Test Tube" baby born||• 1979: Margaret Thatcher elected, UK's 1st woman PM||• 1981: Prince Charles married Lady Di||• 1982: Falklands War||• 1984: Miners' Strike starts||• 1985: Live Aid concert||• 1987: Hurricane lashes South Coast||• 1987: "Black Monday" Stock Market crash|
|1926||Mrs Mary Pelling||1947|
|1966||Cecil (Cyril) Wigman||1982|
|1999||Peter & Sheila Bennett||2009|
|2009||Daniel Selby & Jackie Port||2010|
Henry Otway Trevor, owner of the Glynde Estates, leased part of a field called Pickfield, in Beddingham, for 21 years at an annual rent of £4 10s to John Harvey of Cliffe, near Lewes, spirit merchant, 25 June 1845. Harvey built the Trevor Arms on this site south of Glynde station in anticipation of the opening of the London, Brighton and South coast Railway in June 1845. The lease was renewed on 24 June 1863 for 24 years at £2 5s a year by William and Henry Harvey of Lewes, brewers, wine and spirit merchants, from H B W Brand.In 1906 Alice Smith, trading as Harvey and Son of Bridge wharf Brewery, Lewes, took out an insurance policy with the Licencees’ Insurance Corporation and Guarantee Fund, insuring the Trevor Arms for £1000, premium £1 5s. The property has been leased by the estate to Harveys Brewery ever since. There is a mistaken belief that the Trevor Arms was built facing a road to the north of the building and the railway. However, all maps of the area between 1838 and 1855, including the tithe map and three surveys for the railway, as well as a plan of the site on the original lease in 1845, clearly show the road passing to the south of the site of the pub. The early landlords appear to have been generally long-standing tenants, holding the tenancy for several years each. The first tenant was William Underwood. At a meeting of the Lewes Magistrates on 26 August 1845, a Mr Auckland appeared for William Underwood, who applied for a licence for a house situated in the Pit Field [Pick Field], Beddingham, which he rented from Mr John Harvey, Cliffe, Lewes, wine and spirit merchant. Mr Auckland said this house was actually at the Glynde Station of the railway, and there was no licensed house at Glynde or Beddingham. Underwood had lived some years in the service of General Trevor [owner of the Glynde Estate] from whom he had a certificate of good conduct and he (Mr Auckland) also put in a memorial signed by the Rev Mr Hutchinson [vicar of Firle and Beddingham] and the Rev Mr De St Croix, General Trevor, and others. Mr Ellman had known Underwood many years, and it was impossible to think more highly of him than he (Mr Ellman) did. The Deputy-Chairman granted the licence. William Underwood had been born in Northrepps in Norfolk but had a rather tragic family life while at the Trevor Arms. He was also landlord in 1850 when the empty West Firle Benefit Society cashbox, stolen from the Ram Inn, was rescued from the nearby lime kilns and brought to the pub. Underwood did outside catering, supplying the food for, amongst other events, the cricketers of Glynde and Seaford who played a match in Glynde Park in 1867 and the pub hosted post-match cricket dinners for members and guests of the Southdown Cricket Club, a team of local gentry who were also based in Glynde Park. The Trevor Arms was also occasionally used for other purposes, such as the inquest into the death of 13 year old George Moore in 1863. Underwood was landlord for at least 27 years and he was succeeded by George Gregory for 9 years, Thomas Gorringe, 3 years, Frank Beck for 15 years and Albert Pitcher followed for 4 years. Albert Pelling became landlord in 1903 and, despite being convicted at the Lewes Police Court and fined £5 with one guinea costs on 25 Aug 1903 for allowing drunkenness in the pub, he remained landlord until 1926. His widow Mary Pelling then took over the licence and she was succeeded by her son-in-law Charlie Lusted in 1947. Charlie left the pub in 1950 and then a number of tenants had the pub for brief spells, the longest serving being Cecil Richardson. It was during Richardson’s time as landlord that Mervyn Plunkett brought Scan Tester, the now legendary Sussex traditional concertina player, and his brother Will to the Trevor Arms in March 1958. Art Winter, on melodeon, and Hilary Burgess, on fiddle, were also in the bar and Mervyn recorded at least two songs, a Schottische and the Wearing of the Green (later released by Topic Records’ on I Never Played to Many Posh Dances, Scan Tester, 1887-1972, Topic 2-12T455/6 in 1990). Des and Pam Byrne had the pub from 1962 and Cecil (known as Cyril) Wigman took over the licence on 1 Nov 1966, remaining landlord until 1982. Brian and Nancy Taylor took over the pub in April 1983. Nancy died in 1994 but Brian remained the licensee until he retired in 1998, running the pub with the help of a loyal local workforce such as Brenda Davis and Gaynor Reed. On Brian's retirement he continued to live in the village and contribute to village life, being at some point President of Glynde Cricket Club and a Parish Councillor. Peter and Sheila Bennett, the most recent long-standing tenants, took over the tenancy in 1991 after leaving the Green Man at Ringmer, still employing many of the staff who had worked under Brian Taylor. They provided a warm and friendly welcome until they retired in 2009. A couple of years after that Harvey's, the Lewes brewery, gave up the lease of the pub and Hayley Bayes and Richard Wormald took over the Trevor Arms as a free house. Tragically, after extensive alterations to the fabric of the pub, and a near total change of their staff, the pub closed in January 2017.
glynde.info/history by Andrew Lusted & Chris Whitmore is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://glynde.info/history/contact.php