|• 1876: Bell invents telephone||• 1878: Electric light bulb invented||• 1881: Pasteur invents innoculation||• 1884: Speaker Brand retires||• 1884: Fabian Society founded||• 1885: Glynde & Beddingham Cricket Club founded||• 1887: Queen Victoria's Jubilee||• 1894: Manchester Ship Canal opened||• 1899: Boer War starts||• 1901: Queen Victoria dies||• 1903: 1st aeroplane flight by Wright Bros.||• 1905: Ragged Lands established||• 1909: Introduction of Old Age Pension||• 1912: Sinking of the Titanic||• 1914: Start of 1st World War||• 1916: Battle of the Somme||• 1918: End of 1st World War||• 1919: 1st trans-atlantic flight||• 1920: League of Nations founded||• 1922: Irish Free State founded||• 1924: Lenin dies||• 1926: General Strike|
That the gentry and general public living in the neighbourhood appreciate the kind and useful work that is carried on in Glynde Convalescent Home was shown by the wide support which was accorded the bazaar and fête arranged through the instrumentality of the Hon T S Brand and Mrs Brand in aid of the funds for the institution. Glynde Place was the locale of the event, which took place on Wednesday, under most favourable auspices; the weather, for one thing, was all that could be desired, while the organisation of the affair was likewise perfect. The fête was under distinguished patronage, and Admiral and Mrs Brand experienced no lack of influential helpers in their splendid effort to promote the welfare of an object they have so much at heart. It is satisfactory to learn that as a result of Wednesday's delightful proceedings, the finances of the Home will benefit to an appreciable extent. Before making reference to the various attractions which went to make up a most pleasurable fête, we may be permitted to give a short history and description of the Glynde Convalescent Home. As is probably well known, its establishment and maintenance is almost wholly due to the generosity of the Brand family. The late Viscount Hampden gave the site for the Home, and contributed £200 towards the building expenses. One hundred and fifty pounds was raised by an amateur theatrical performance in London, and the remainder of the sum required (in all £405 18s 3d) for building and furnishing was raised by subscriptions. The title of the Home explains the object of its existence, which is to provide fresh air, good food, and kind nursing for boys and girls after a serious illness or operation. It is open practically the whole year round, and the results of treatment which the children receive testify in an eloquent manner to its extreme usefulness and worth. The Home has a picturesque and healthy situation at the foot of the South Downs on the old Lewes Road. Its surroundings are pretty, and calculated to exercise a brightening effect upon the spirits and general condition of the youthful inmates, who have their every want cared for and their happiness studied in the most thorough manner. The accommodation comprises three bedrooms, a large play-room, sitting room for the Matron (Nurse M Leedes-Ennals), kitchen, bathroom, and scullery, and has perfect sanitary arrangements. The charge for an inmate per week is only 2s 6d and there is no limit to the duration of a visit. The average number of cases in the Home during the year is about 36. Girls are taken from 2 to 12 years, and the boys from 2 to 9. There are in the Home at the present time children suffering from rickets, disease of the bone in the leg, the effects of amputation, and paralysis.
The house party entertained at Glynde Place for the occasion included the Hon Miss Brand, Hon Mrs Fellowes, Mrs Jenkins, Miss Hibbert, Mrs Kennard, Mrs Dudley Smith, Mr Leo Trevor, and Mr H Trevor. Amongst the large and representative company were noticed Viscount and Viscountess Gage, Miss Shiffner, Miss Nelly Shiffner, Mr and Mrs F B Whitfield, Mr and Mrs H Whitfield, Lieut-Colonel Thompson, Mr F S Shenstone, Mrs and Miss Shenstone, Rev Russell (Hellingly), Rev W Hudson (Eastbourne), Rev W E Dalton (Glynde), Mrs H Scarlett, Miss Scarlett, Mr S Austen Leigh, the Mayor and Mayoress of Lewes (Councillor and Mrs G Holmes) and friends, the Mayor and Mayoress of Eastbourne (Alderman and Mrs Keay), The Mayoress of Brighton, Mrs Aubrey Hillman, Mrs Edward Hillman, the Misses Perfect, Mr and Mrs E C Currey, Mrs and the Misses Rigden, Miss Beard, Miss Blaker, Mrs Ellis, Miss Devin, Mr H Willett, Mrs Maxfield Smith and Miss Harvey Smith (Lewes), Mrs and the Misses Lucas, Mr G S Whitfield, Mr Mark Sandford, Mrs Sandford and friends (Maresfield), Mr and Mrs J Burder (Barcombe), Mr and Mrs F Fawcett (Lewes), Alderman Farncombe, Rev L Hands (Eastbourne), Rev H and Mrs Harboard (East Hoathly), Mr and Mrs T W Pickard (Glynde ), Mrs Parker (Ryders Wells), Mrs Spencer (Ringmer). The St Saviour's (Eastbourne) Girls' Guild had their outing to Glynde Place on Wednesday, and their numbers helped to swell the attendance at the fête
Apart from the numerous attractions which were provided for the hundreds of people who patronised the event, Glynde Park is in itself an ideal spot to spend a pleasant day. On Wednesday everybody was charmed with its magnificent situation and sylvan beauties, while the grand view of the surrounding country which could be obtained from the lawn in front of the house filled all beholders with admiration. On payment of an admission fee, which went towards the proceeds of the fête, visitors were allowed to inspect the interior of the fine old Elizabethan mansion, and not a few took the opportunity of making a tour of the principal apartments and viewing the objects of historic interest and value contained therein.
The park and grounds were open from twelve to nine o'clock, and there was no lack of amusements for the general public, who flocked thither in their hundreds, the programme including dancing, croquet, stoolball, cricket, Aunt Sally, bran-tubs, roundabouts, children's sports, and country games. The Lewes Town Band was in attendance, and played some excellent music on the lawns during the afternoon and evening.
The piece de resistance of the day's proceedings was the pastoral play, which took place in the courtyard at Glynde Place towards the end of the afternoon, when there was presented for the first time a play in one act entitled 'The Derelict', especially written for the occasion by Mr Leo Trevor, whose brilliant little work found much favour with the large and fashionable audience which assembled to witness the performance. The ancient courtyard, with all its interesting associations with the past, was admirably adapted for the purpose to which it was put, the cool atmosphere and excellent hearing properties of the place contributing to the great pleasure which the performance afforded. The plot of the story centred round a young lord who, with a ruined reputation, goes abroad and, as we are told later on, associates himself with the nefarious exploits of a privateer, leaving a girl cousin to inherit the family property. At the commencement of the piece we are introduced to this young lady, and the old manservant of the family, both of whom belong to the Society of Friends. The girl talks to the old man about her missing cousin in a tender and sympathetic manner, and wonders whether they will ever have news of him. Her feelings are not shared by the stiff-hearted, obsequious servant, who holds that to forgive wrong-doing is to condone sin. One day, however, a stranger turns up at the house, and the purport of his visit is to announce that the long-lost lord, having died in foreign parts, has handed over to him his title and any possessions he may be entitled to at home for services rendered. The stranger, the audience is led to conclude, is no other than the unfortunate but repentant heir who, however, conceals his identity from his cousin to the end of the play. Having satisfied himself of the sincerity of her feelings towards the cousin, whom she now sorrowfully believes to be dead, he leaves the house much overcome by the interview, which formed quite the finest passage in the piece. The characters, which were superbly acted, were taken as follows:- Luke Halliday and Miss Priscilla More (of the Society of Friends), Mr Harry Trevor and the Hon Mrs Fellowes; Richard Wyborn (late of the 'Cymric' privateer), Mr Leo Trevor. Scene: The Courtyard at Glynde. Period: 1776.
Another feature of the proceedings deserving of the highest praise was the performance by the children of the Glynde National School of a patriotic cantata, entitled 'Britannia, Queen of the Ocean'. This attractive item was given under the trees in a delightful corner of the grounds, known as the Quarter Deck. The singing of the children was excellent, while their costumes, representing different colonies of the Empire, were quite in keeping with requirements of the piece. Miss Ivy Nias impersonated Britannia, and sang very sweetly. Miss Phoebe Brand, as an Indian princess, fulfilled her part exquisitely. The other principal characters were 'Ireland' (Miss Ella Nias), 'Scotland' (Miss Lizzie Lusted), 'Canada' (Master Humphrey Brand). Six little girls represented 'Isles of the Sea', and there were numerous sailor boys, Africans, Australians, and Colonial representatives from the furthermost corner of the Empire. The large audiences were delighted with the performance, which was given both in the afternoon and evening. Miss Wynn, the schoolmistress, assisted by Miss West, trained the children, and the result of their combined efforts was to be highly commended. Miss Parker presided at he piano-forte.
The bazaar, which was held in the old Glynde stables, proved one of the principal sources of income. Here there was a most attractive display of useful and fancy articles, the stalls being presided over by several ladies, including Mrs F B Whitfield, Mrs Spencer, Mrs Parker, Mrs Scarlett, Miss Scarlett, Mrs Dalton, and the Misses Shiffner.
glynde.info/history by Andrew Lusted & Chris Whitmore is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://glynde.info/history/contact.php